fbpx FAQs - Haileybury


  • When can I visit?

    We are holding Open Days throughout the Autumn Term. Please click here to register.

    If these dates are not convenient, please contact the Admissions Department who will help organise a personal appointment for your family.

  • What is the difference between Lower School and Main School?

    The Lower School consists of Lower School 1 (Year 7) and Lower School 2 (Year 8). Lower School has its own building on campus in which the majority of Lower School lessons take place.

    Those entering the school at 13+ go directly into Main School (Years 9–13) to join Removes (Year 9).

  • Is transport available?

    A minibus service is available for day pupils, operating Monday to Saturday morning. If entry to Haileybury is dependent on use of the transport service, parents are advised to check availability with the Transport Department, email transport@haileybury.com Telephone 01992 706378.  See the Pupil Transport page for more information.

  • Is there school at the weekend?

    Saturday morning lessons are an important part of life at the School for the Main School pupils. Many will also take part in sports matches each Saturday afternoon.

    Lower School pupils have no timetabled lessons on Saturday mornings but are expected to take part in sports fixtures.

  • How are Houses allocated?

    Lower School pupils make up Highfield House. Ahead of graduating into Main School – alongside the new intake of pupils joining Removes (Year 9) – the Head of Lower School allocates pupils to boys or girls Houses.

    Parents of pupils joining at 13+ are welcome to express a preference of House but the School reserves the right to allocate pupils according to availability and in order to have balanced year groups.

    Historical or sibling connections are taken into consideration. There is no preference of Boarding House for pupils joining at 14+ and 16+. For further information, contact the Admissions Department.

  • Do parents get involved?

    Contact between parents, tutors and Housemasters or Housemistresses is essential for the wellbeing of every pupil, and parents are always encouraged to attend school performances, sports matches, concerts and special events.

    The Haileybury Parents’ Association provides opportunities for parents to socialise and get involved with new initiatives.

  • Do I need a guardian if I live overseas?

    Children whose parents live overseas are required to have an educational guardian. Please see our Educational Guardian Policy for further details.

    Families who need help with arrangements for travel, visas, the purchase of school uniform or other practicalities associated with sending a child to school overseas, please contact the Admissions Department.


  • Do I need a Visa to study at Haileybury if I live overseas?

    Your child will require a Child Student Visa to study at Haileybury, if they do not hold a passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland.

    There are a few exemptions; such as, if they have been granted EU Pre-Settled or Settled Status or are in possession of another type of visa which permits them to reside in the UK. Haileybury has been licensed by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) to sponsor international pupils for the purpose of full time study at the School.

    Please contact the Admissions Department for further information. 

  • Is food provided?

    We have an outstanding range of meals for pupils and staff everyday, with a menu of freshly cooked dishes, vegetarian meals, vegan options, a wide-ranging salad bar, sandwiches and baked potatoes.

    There are also desserts and fresh fruit. Special dietary requirements are catered for.

    See more information about food at Haileybury here.

  • Can I talk to a current parent to find out more?

    Please contact the Haileybury Parents’ Association who would be delighted to put you in touch with one of our families.

  • What is the difference between a scholarship and a bursary?

    A Haileybury Scholarship is awarded on merit to pupils who can demonstrate outstanding achievement and promise.

    Bursaries are offered to make it possible for talented candidates or those in significant pastoral need, whose parents could not otherwise afford the fees, to benefit from a Haileybury education. Bursaries are based on means-testing household income and assets using a formula widely used within the independent sector and may include a home visit.

  • Can boarders go home at the weekend?

    Boarders may choose to stay at School or go home on most weekends. If they choose to stay at School there are events or trips on both Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons. If they choose not to stay at School, boarders may leave after their sporting commitment on Saturdays.

    Boarders should return to their Houses by 9.30 pm on Sunday or alternatively, with the permission of their HM, by 8.10 am on Monday.

    The exceptions to these arrangements are the five ‘in’ weekends when all boarders stay at School on Saturday night and until after the School Chapel Service on Sunday morning.

    With permission from HMs, pupils may go home from 11.30 am until 9.30 pm on ‘in’ weekend Sundays. 

    On long exeat weekends, pupils must go home or to their guardians from 1.00 pm on the Friday and return to school by 9.30 pm on the Sunday or, with the permission of the HM, until 8.10 am on the Monday.

  • Can my child flexi-board?

    In Lower School (Years 7 and 8), day pupils have the option to try flexi-boarding subject to availability.

    Flexi-boarding sees pupils board for one or more specified nights per week on a termly basis.

    In Removes (Year 9), we offer an Introduction to Boarding initiative for day pupils.

    If a pupil enjoys the experience, they may convert to full boarding at any time.

    Existing Removes day pupils may sign up for three consecutive nights per week. Consecutive nights will ensure stability of experience for both existing boarders as well as for those trialling the experience.

  • What are the individual music fees?

    Music lessons take place on a one-to-one basis, led by the 26 visiting staff of the Music Department. We offer tuition in all orchestral instruments, as well as:

    • Piano
    • Organ
    • Singing
    • Percussion (both drum kit and orchestral percussion)
    • Guitar (classical and electric).

    Pupils who do not own their own instrument are usually able to hire a school one, subject to availability, and we welcome all pupils to use our extensive facilities for practice in their free time between 7am and 10pm.

    Music lessons are delivered in 10-lesson blocks, and charged in arrears in the school bill following the end of each block.

    Lessons may be started mid-block if there is a place available. More information can be found in our additional charges sheet

  • What does a typical school day look like?

    We run a timetable which is designed to enable flexibility within the curriculum.

    All pupils are issued with a timetable which they fill in with their form tutor on the first day of each school term.

    You can obtain more detailed information on the school timetable here.

  • Where can I find out more about school uniform?

    You will be sent information detailing the school uniform, sports kit and footwear your child will need in the Summer term before they join the School as part of the ‘Information for new parents’ pack. 

    Should you have any questions in the meantime, please contact our Admissions team on 01992 706 353.