Haileybury Turnford begins life as an academy on 1 September 2015.
The launch of the new academy represents the culmination of more than two years’ collaboration between Turnford School in Cheshunt and Haileybury, a leading co-educational boarding school near Hertford.
Pupils at the academy will see a number of significant changes when they arrive for the start of the new school year, with further initiatives introduced as the partnership between the two schools develops. Immediate changes include:
- A longer school day, which will allow more time for academic and extra-curricular activities
- Homework for Key Stage 3 pupils (Years 7, 8 and 9) will be completed during the school day rather than at home. This will enable teachers better to support pupils and help them to develop independent learning techniques which will enable them to study more effectively for GCSEs and A Levels
- Enhancement of the existing school house system with improved pastoral care which will foster aspiration, team spirit and a healthy level of competition
- Opportunities to participate in lectures and seminars at Haileybury and extra-curricular activities such as the Combined Cadet Force, as well as support for able and gifted pupils to apply for top universities
- A new uniform
- Healthier lunchtime menus.
Commenting on this announcement, Jo Gant, Principal of Haileybury Turnford, said: “We are excited to have reached this point in our partnership. Our vision is to continue to create an excellent school that models itself on Haileybury’s successful teaching methods and uses these to support and develop Haileybury Turnford. Haileybury is an outstanding school and its considered approach over the last two years means that it is fully aware of the new school intake and how to support and challenge the students to succeed.”
Joe Davies, Master of Haileybury added: "Our ambition is that Haileybury Turnford becomes a strong example of how independent and state schools can work collaboratively to share professional expertise and we aim to help Haileybury Turnford pupils fulfil all aspects of their potential.”