Lawrence House was founded in 1867 and named after John Lawrence who was a former student of the East India College (see link for full biography). It has been a House which has always been situated in the bottom right corner of the quad, next to the Chapel and Big School. Originally, the building (which is now JUST Lawrence) was shared with Edmonstone, which were on the bottom floor.
Lawrence has recently had some work done on the House. The result of this is that instead of the traditional dormitory system which most other Houses still possess, Lawrence has its own system. Pupils in the Removes and Middles now have more space in which they are able to sleep, work and socialise.
The House has about 55-60 pupils depending on the new intakes at the beginning of every year. It is known to be a very respected House and when House competitions come around, it is one which most fear to come up against.
Carl became HM of Lawrence in September 2014. For Carl, it’s a return to familiar territory, having been a tutor in Lawrence for ten years before going on to become Assistant HM of Bartle Frere. He joined from Wellington School in Somerset in 1999 and teaches French, is fully involved in the Army Section of the CCF and coaches cricket, hockey and rugby (Master in Charge). He is married to Celeste, and both their boys are currently pupils at Haileybury. His interests include sport, music, films, comedy, drawing, gardening and cooking.
Great Grandson of Lawrence legend Reverend Reade, the Housemaster between 1863 and 1868, who established the Skull and Crossbones as the House emblem, Tim joined Haileybury at the beginning of the Easter term in 2008 to become the Head of the Physics Department. Tim is tutor to the Lower Sixth in Lawrence.
Nigel Parkin came to Haileybury in 2006 to become a teacher in the Drama Department. He is an extremely charismatic teacher who gets a lot out of his pupils. He became Head of English in 2008 and is tutor to the Upper Sixth in Lawrence.
John Laird Mair Lawrence, 1st Baron Lawrence, GCB, GCSI, PC (4 March 1811 - 27 June 1879) was a British statesman who served as Viceroy of India from 1864 to 1869.
Lawrence spent his early years in Derry, Northern Ireland and was educated at Foyle College (now Foyle and Londonderry College), where a statue to him stands (having been originally erected in Lahore). The statue, by Sir Joseph Boehme, once showed Lawrence with a pen in one hand and a sword in the other to illustrate his versatility as an administrator and a soldier but vandals have since damaged the sword. Another statue of Lawrence stands in Waterloo Place in central London.
Lawrence went to India in 1829 along with his older brother, Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence. He soon became a magistrate and tax collector in Delhi, where he was known for his concern for the plight of the peasantry.
During the First Sikh War of 1845 to 1846, Lawrence organised the supplying of the British army in the Punjab and became Commissioner of the Jullundur district, serving under his brother, the Governor of the province. In that role he was known for his administrative reforms, for subduing the hill tribes, and for his attempts to end the custom of suttee.
In 1849, following the Second Sikh War, he became a member of the Punjab Board of Administration under his brother, and was responsible for numerous reforms of the province, including the abolition of internal duties, establishment of a common currency and postal system, and encouraged the development of Punjabi infrastructure, earning him the sobriquet of "the Saviour of the Punjab". In this work his efforts to limit the power of local elites brought him into conflict with his brother, and ultimately led to the abolition of the Administrative Board, instead becoming chief commissioner in the executive branch of the province.
In that role, Lawrence was partly responsible for preventing the spread of the Mutiny to Punjab in 1857, and negotiated a treaty with the Afghan ruler Dost Mohammed Khan, and later led the troops which recaptured Delhi from the rebellious sepoys. For this, he was created a baronet and received an annual pension from the East India Company of £2,000.
He returned to England in 1859, but was sent back to India in 1863 to become Viceroy to succeed Lord Elgin, who had unexpectedly died. As Viceroy, Lawrence pursued a cautious policy, avoiding entanglement in Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf. In domestic affairs, he increased educational opportunities for Indians, but at the same time limited the use of native Indians in high civil service posts.
He was raised to the peerage as Baron Lawrence, of the Punjaub and of Grately in the County of Southampton, on his return to England in 1869, and died 10 years later. Lawrence House was originally named after him when Haileybury and Imperial Service College was the East India Company College and a "house" at Foyle College was subsequently named after him.